Since January 2016, Philips and Technicolor have joined forces to develop and market HDR solutions to optimize images quality for production, distribution and rendering on any Consumer Device.
High Dynamic Range (HDR) can clearly bring better images, improve content quality and increase end user immersive experience. However, the increasing mix of content format (SDR, HLG, PQ…) is leading to challenges on how to best capture, produce, store, distribute and display high quality content.
To help content producers, distributors and consumer device manufacturers to meet these challenges, Philips and Technicolor have developed Advanced HDR by Technicolor, covering two HDR technologies:
- Technicolor HDR ITM (Intelligent Tone Management) a solution converting any legacy SDR content into high quality HDR (PQ, HLG…)
- Technicolor HDR also known as SL-HDR, a Single Layer HDR format creation tool, converting any high quality HDR into high quality SDR and /or generating the SL-HDR distribution formats standardized as part of ETSI TS 103-433
- SL-HDR1 Based on a SDR video Base, Also Adopted by ATSC3.0 and SBTVD 2.5
- SL-HDR2 Based on s HDR10 video Base Layer, also adopted by DVB
- SL-HDR3 Based on a HLG video Base Layer
To download the document, please provide the following information.
The added value of Advanced HDR by Technicolor technologies is that they are dynamic and tunable.
Dynamic means that an optimized conversion or calculation is done for each individual image,maximizing their dynamic range thanks to AI (Artificial Intelligence) algorithms that will favor granularity of details where needed (dark areas, bright spots, large bright areas…)
The tuning capabilities of these technologies also enable content creators to match any targeted native HDR when up-converting native SDR content with Technicolor HDR ITM for example:
For distribution, the SL-HDR (Single Layer HDR) distribution formats enable to offer optimized SDR and HDR images to consumer devices with a single stream, optimize bandwidth and cost.
Much more examples are available for how Advanced HDR by Technicolor can help you optimizing Quality, Costs and Ease of Use.
Do not hesitate to contact us
Adoption & Deployment
Advanced HDR by Technicolor solutions are already widely implemented:
- By Professional equipment manufacturers
- Cobalt Digital in their 9904-UDX-UHD conversion cards
- Cinnafilm in Dark Energy Xenon
- BBright Playout solution UHD Channel
- ATEME supports Advanced HDR by Technicolor in its TITAN Solutions
- By leading broadcasters
- Sinclair Broadcast Group for SL-HDR1 deployment as part of Next gen TV in USA
- ARTE France for their experimental HDR channel
- By all major TV and STB SoC manufacturers…
Please visit the following link for more information: https://www.technicolor.com/distribute/home-experience/play/hdr
Experiences & Webinars
Learn more about Advanced HDR by Technicolor through the following shared experiences and webinars.
Best live HDR experience on any screen for TV and mobile offering
- How to easily handle live UHD HDR & SDR events (BBright example)
- Simultaneous distribution of SDR and HDR over a single distribution channel (Brazilian experience)
- Perfect viewing quality on any legacy and future screen for TV and mobile (Display Adaptation example)
- Supported by silicon solutions offered by many TV silicon providers (Mediatek MT9612 example)
- Live up-conversion from SDR to HDR without artefacts (ARTE HDR experimental channel example)
- Legacy support of SDR TVs by automatic down-conversion of HDR
- Automated legacy content and studio content conversion with low cost tools